Law at Work Inc. is a 501(c)3 charitable organization dedicated to providing Florida’s public college libraries with free educational content in the areas of Constitutional, Contract, Employment, Business, Civil and Property Law. Collectively, this content presented as the Law@Work.
Law@Work content is easily integrated into a college’s existing Lib Guide system, which is an industry standard content management system. Public public college libraries incur no cost in offering Law@Work to students, faculty, staff, and community members access to important legal information.
Our goal is to integrate Law@Work content into each of Florida’s state colleges and universities, reaching over 1,000,000 students across the Sunshine State. Our initial focus is providing Law@Work to Florida’s Community College students, since this demographic is far more likely to be socially and economically disadvantaged.
Access to legal knowledge for low-income Americans is a significant problem within society. Consider these statistics:
- 21% of Floridians live at (or below) 125% of the federal poverty line.
- 86% of low civil legal problems reported by low income Americans received no or inadequate legal help.
- 71% of low-income American households experience civil legal problems.
- 54% of those household experienced two civil legal problems.
- 37% of civil legal issues for low-income families are related to consumer finance problems (i.e. contracts).
- 19% of civil legal problems for low-income households (nearly 1-in-5) relate to employment law.
Law at Work Inc., by working with college librarians and faculty, is promoting access to legal knowledge, and promoting equality in the workplace by educating tomorrow’s managers and entrepreneurs. For example, Employment Law content places emphasis upon state, federal and local anti-discrimination laws that protect employees.
Law@Work began as a tenure project at Valencia College, where Dr. Matthew Kenney would record 2-minute audio segments explaining legal concepts for Business Law students. Today, each of Valencia College’s 70,000+ students has access to Law@Work content via the college library. Visit at: https://libguides.valenciacollege.edu/lawatwork.